About Me

My photo
Think of the most interesting man you know. Now imagine what he would be like had he grown up in a tarpaper shack without indoor plumbing, joined a monastery, had an extensive career as a female model, actress, author and screen writer, then traded in his weave and acrylic nails for a Ph.D. in neuroscience. If you have been able to conjure up that image, turn it up to 11... and let's do it!!

Monday, August 9, 2010

The Beautiful People

I got my oil changed today.  While I was waiting for Scott (the butch boy who changes the oil) to do what it is that he does, to my car, I struck up a conversation with some of the other gas station attendants.    During the conversation one of them made a reference to "the beautiful people", and nodded towards the expensive waterfront Condos in the Marina.

I was a little bit insulted because I am one of the beautiful people.   No, I am not rich, no, I don't have an expensive ocean front home, and if America's Next Top Model tries to recruit me, somebody's medication needs adjusting.   My point is this.  Beauty, like most estates in this life are fleeting.   We're all beautiful and we're all ugly as hell, just as we're all intelligent, and we're all dense as a brick, depending on the given moment.

Mel Gibson has classic features, money, and a house on the water, is he beautiful?   Not recently.   One time, I was sitting next to Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman at this HORRIBLE, cramped, tiny, trendy over-priced restaurant in Brentwood, and I looked at them very closely. If I hadn't known who they were, I wouldn't have given them a second look--granted this is LA, and people take photo beauty to a different level here.   Still, what about the real beautiful traits, the kind hearts, the sage souls, the people who give until they cannot give anymore.  The balding, doctor who works hours upon hours to save a life, knowing that he's never going to get paid financially, the person in the supermarket line who pays the $5.00 the elderly person is short of on her grocery bill, so she doesn't have to put something back....  That is beautiful... in its purest form... Cause no matter how beautiful a person is on the outside, there's somebody somewhere who's tired of doing the horizontal bop with them.   That's just how it is... the power of cute... is very temporal... but true beauty, which is not physical, but spiritual, is permanent.

So the problem is not the people, who look a certain way, and arguably have advantages because of that.  It is the masses, who think that looking a certain way, and having certain things are beauty and wealth.   To that envious man I was talking to, I say this:  I'm beautiful goddammit, and so are you!  You never know what another person's life is like.   We all cry.  We all laugh.   We all serve some ugly Gods from time to time... and envy is one of the ugliest.   Holla back chirren!

No comments:

Post a Comment